The Devils Lake Water Improvement District will hold their annual budget meeting in the District’s office on May 10, 2010 at 10:00 am, which will be your best opportunity to provide input. The draft 2010-2011 budget is now available for review; the Budget Committee will review the document at the May meeting. The public will have an additional opportunity to comment at the budget hearing to be held on June 3, 2010 prior to adoption by the board at the same meeting.
Please follow the links below to access the budget committee agenda and draft 2010-2011 Budget:
The 2010-2011 Budget is a very different budget from the previous year in that the board removed the SolarBees project, more specifically, -$26,821 from the General Fund expenditures and -$1,067,380 from the Improvement Fund expenditures. There are several other differences in this budget driven primarily but the new set of objectives recently set by the DLWID board. These include:
Budget Priorities for FY 2010-2011
In April of 2010, the District’s Board of Directors formulated five objectives for focus in the upcoming year. These priorities are listed below:
- Develop and implement a strategy for the reintroduction of grass carp.
- Finish the septic tank revitalization program creating an ordinance which will provide the data necessary to complete the septic systems database. Use that database to estimate septic tank loading as part of the total watershed nutrient load.
- Increase District’s time spent on the lake to promote communication to property owners, while conducting a lakeshore photographic survey. Also re-evaluate the cyanobacteria postings from the District.
- Determine the source of E. coli on Thompson Creek.
- Determine the methods we can use and those to collaborate with to sewer the rest of the watershed.
Currently the District has several other programs, which are running concurrently with the current priority list. A list of the additional programs and activities the District maintains are listed below:
- Water Quality Programs
- E. coli monitoring
- Cyano-Watch & cyanotoxin monitoring
- Lake Level Management
- Emergency dredging of the D River
- D River dam and recreational water right administration
- Septic Tank Revitalization
- Save our Shorelines
- Property Issues
- Site plan reviews for large developments
- Water Right Applications
- Wetland removal & fill application review
- Database Creation
- RARE Program
- Intern Program
- Emergency Preparedness
- Outreach Programs
- Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Seminar
- SOLV “Down by the Lakeside”
- Get the Lead Out!
- Earth Day
- Senior Fair
- Lake Steward Award
- Devils Lake Radio 1610 AM